May be shipped from US. fresh replica.
En l. a. decada de los cincuenta, mientras recorre Polonia, un Kapuscinski aprendiz de reportero vive obsesionado con cruzar los angeles frontera. No logra ir a Checoeslovaquia pero, a cambio, los angeles redaccion del diario en el que trabaja lo envia a l. a. India. El corresponsal parte con un libro, la Historia de Herodoto. Escrito desde l. a. perspectiva de medio siglo, Viajes con Herodoto se revela como un libro de dificil clasificacion. Es un reportaje? A ratos. Un estudio etnografico-antropologico? En parte si. Un libro de viajes? Tambien lo es. Un homenaje al Herodoto protorreportero y a l. a. calidad de su prosa? Desde luego. Y todo esto, plasmado en magnificas historias no ficticias en las que los soldados de Salamina conviven con un nino sin zapatos en l. a. Varsovia de 1942, Jerjes con Dostoievski, Creso con Louis Armstrong. / within the Fifties, Ryszard Kapuscinski entire college in Poland and have become a overseas correspondent. He used to be despatched to India the 1st cease on a decades-long travel of the area. Revisiting his thoughts of touring the globe with a duplicate of Herodotus' Histories in tow, Travels with Herodotus is a good chronicle of 1 man's international trip.
By Mary Russell
By Lonely Planet, Karla Zimmerman, Celeste Brash
Lonely Planet: The world's top commute consultant publisher
Lonely Planet's observe Canada is your passport to the main correct, up to date suggestion on what to determine and bypass, and what hidden discoveries watch for you. Hit the ski slopes at Whistler, wander Quebec's wonderful previous city, wonder at Niagara Falls, hike in Banff nationwide Park; all along with your depended on commute significant other. become aware of the simplest of Canada and start your trip now!
Inside Lonely Planet's realize Canada:
- Full-color maps and photographs all through
- Highlights and itineraries assist you tailor your journey in your own wishes and pursuits
- Insider tips to save lots of time and cash and get round like an area, heading off crowds and hassle spots
- Essential info at your fingertips - hours of operation, cellphone numbers, web content, transit tips, costs
- Honest reports for all budgets - consuming, sound asleep, sight-seeing, going out, purchasing, hidden gem stones that the majority guidebooks leave out
- Cultural insights provide you with a richer, extra worthwhile trip adventure - heritage, artwork, literature, cinema, tune, politics, landscapes, flora and fauna, delicacies, wine, spectator activities
- Free, handy pull-out Vancouver map (included in print version), plus over 36 colour maps
- Covers Vancouver, Whistler, Banff nationwide Park, Jasper nationwide Park, the Canadian Rockies, Toronto, Niagara Falls, Ontario, Ottawa, Montreal, Quebec, Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island, and extra
The ideal selection: Lonely Planet's notice Canada, our easy-to-use consultant, jam-packed with inspiring and colourful pictures, makes a speciality of Canada's most well-liked points of interest for these searching for the simplest of the simplest.
- Looking for a accomplished advisor that recommends either well known and offbeat reviews, and largely covers the entire Canada has to supply? try out Lonely Planet's Canada advisor.
- Looking for a consultant for Vancouver, Montreal or Quebec urban? cost out Lonely Planet's Vancouver guide and Montreal & Quebec urban guide for a finished examine these kind of towns need to provide.
Authors: Written and researched via Lonely Planet, Karla Zimmerman, Celeste Brash, John Lee, Sarah Richards, Brendan Sainsbury, Caroline Sieg, Ryan Ver Berkmoes, Benedict Walker.
About Lonely Planet: Since 1973, Lonely Planet has turn into the world's prime go back and forth media corporation with guidebooks to each vacation spot, an award-winning web site, cellular and electronic go back and forth items, and a committed tourist group. Lonely Planet covers must-see spots but in addition permits curious tourists to get off crushed paths to appreciate extra of the tradition of the locations during which they locate themselves.
By Scott Fisher
Axis of Evil global journey is going past the superficial insurance present in a lot of the media to carry a boots-on-the-ground examine 3 of the main enigmatic, difficult-to-enter international locations at the planet-Iran, Iraq, and North Korea. North Korea: stopover at the annoying but quiet DMZ that divides North from South, one of many eeriest areas on the earth. Spend time traveling Pyongyang, the exhibit capital that homes the regime and its elites. trip midway around the kingdom to the attractive "Heavenly body spray" mountain for a trip to the surreal, cult-like "museums" housing presents to the country's leaders, Kim Il-sung and Kim Jong-il. Iraq: what is it prefer to live to tell the tale a U.S. army base in the course of the conflict in Iraq? Spend months as a part of the Iraqi Survey staff, the overseas staff that was once tasked with discovering Saddam's guns of mass destruction. Iran: What do Iranians ponder the U.S. and americans? you're stunned. shuttle round the kingdom and take an within examine Khomeini's tomb, listen approximately Iran's personal struggle opposed to Al Qaeda, and have a look contained in the mystery global of the mullahs that truly run Iran. Head to AxisofEvilTour.com for images, booklet excerpts, and movies.
“Expertly researched and engaging… Bissell is a perfectly convinced advisor to those mysterious men.… it is a critical e-book concerning the origins of Christianity that also is very humorous. How usually are you able to say that?” —The Independent
A profound and relocating trip into the center of Christianity that explores the mysterious and infrequently paradoxical lives and legacies of the Twelve Apostles—a booklet either for these of the religion and for others who search to appreciate Christianity from the skin in.
Peter, Matthew, Thomas, John: Who have been those males? What used to be their courting to Jesus? Tom Bissell presents wealthy and awesome solutions to those old, elusive questions. He examines not only who those males have been (and weren’t), but additionally how their identities have taken form over the process millennia.
eventually, Bissell unearths that the tale of the apostles is the tale of early Christianity: its competing models of Jesus’s ministry, its numerous schisms, and its final evolution from an vague Jewish sect to the worldwide religion we all know at the present time in all its types and variations. In his quest to appreciate the underpinnings of the world’s greatest faith, Bissell embarks on a years-long pilgrimage to the intended tombs of the Twelve Apostles. He travels from Jerusalem and Rome to Turkey, Greece, Spain, France, India, and Kyrgyzstan, vividly shooting the wealthy range of Christianity’s world wide succeed in. alongside the best way, he engages with a number of characters—priests, paupers, a Vatican archaeologist, a Palestinian taxi driving force, a Russian monk—posing sharp questions that variety from the non secular to the philosophical to the political.
Written with heat, empathy, and infrequent acumen, Apostle is an excellent synthesis of go back and forth writing, biblical historical past, and a deep, lifelong courting with Christianity. the result's an strange, erudite, and from time to time hilarious book—a non secular, highbrow, and private experience healthy for believers, students, and wanderers alike.
By Ross E. Dunn
Often called the best traveller of premodern occasions, Abu Abdallah ibn Battuta was once born in Morocco in 1304 and proficient in Islamic legislations. on the age of twenty-one, he left domestic to make the holy pilgrimage to Mecca. This was once simply the 1st of a chain of amazing trips that spanned approximately 3 a long time and took him not just eastward to India and China but in addition north to the Volga River valley and south to Tanzania. The narrative of those travels has been identified to experts in Islamic and medieval background for years. Ross E. Dunn's 1986 retelling of those stories, in spite of the fact that, used to be the 1st paintings of scholarship to make the mythical traveler's tale obtainable to a normal viewers. Now up-to-date with revisions, a brand new preface, and an up-to-date bibliography, Dunn's vintage translates Ibn Battuta's adventures and locations them in the wealthy, trans-hemispheric cultural environment of medieval Islam.
By Lonely Planet, Stuart Butler, Anthony Sattin
Lonely Planet: The world's major trip advisor publisher
Lonely Planet center East is your passport to the entire so much proper and up to date suggestion on what to determine, what to bypass, and what hidden discoveries anticipate you. Watch the sunlight set over the Petra tombs, wonder on the towering Pyramids of Giza, or wander the streets of Damascus and luxuriate in heart jap delicacies; all along with your depended on commute spouse. Get to the center of the center East and start your trip now!
Inside Lonely Planet center East go back and forth Guide:
- Colour maps and photographs all through
- Highlights and itineraries express you the easiest method to tailor your journey in your personal own wishes and pursuits
- Insider tips prevent money and time and assist you get round like a neighborhood, averting crowds and bother spots
- Essential info at your fingertips - together with hours of operation, mobilephone numbers, web content, transit tips, and costs
- Honest stories for all budgets - together with consuming, napping, sight-seeing, going out, procuring, and hidden gemstones that the majority guidebooks pass over
- Cultural insights offer you a richer and extra lucrative trip adventure - together with customs, heritage, faith, paintings, literature, poetry, cinema, song, structure, politics, landscapes, natural world, and delicacies
- Over ninety neighborhood maps
- Useful beneficial properties - including Month-by-Month (annual pageant calendar), Walking excursions, and shuttle with Children
- Coverage of Turkey, Syria, Iraq, Jordan, Lebanon, Israel, the Palestinian Territories, Egypt, Beirut, Cairo, Amman, Ankara, Baghdad, Damascus, Istanbul, Palmyra, Petra, Luxor, Wadi Rum, Tel Aviv, Baalbek, and extra
The excellent selection: Lonely Planet heart East, our such a lot entire advisor to the center East, is ideal for these making plans to either discover the pinnacle attractions and take the line much less travelled.
- Looking for only a few of the locations integrated during this consultant? payment out Lonely Planet's publications to these specific destinations for a accomplished examine what every one kingdom has to supply.
Authors: Written and researched by way of Lonely Planet, Anthony Ham, Stuart Butler, Zora O'Neill, Olivia Pozzan, Daniel Robinson, Anthony Sattin, Paul Smith, and Jenny Walker.
About Lonely Planet: begun in 1973, Lonely Planet has develop into the world's best trip advisor writer with guidebooks to each vacation spot on the earth, in addition to an award-winning site, a set of cellular and electronic commute items, and a devoted tourist neighborhood. Lonely Planet's venture is to allow curious visitors to adventure the realm and to really get to the guts of the areas they locate themselves in.
By Bob Sehlinger
Compiled and written by means of a staff of skilled researchers whose paintings has been brought up via such diversified resources as USA Today and Operations study Forum, The Unofficial consultant to Walt Disney World digs deeper and gives greater than the other consultant. The Unofficial advisor to Walt Disney World explains how Disney global works and the way to take advantage of that wisdom to make each minute and each greenback of your holiday count number. With recommendation that's direct, prescriptive, and particular, it takes the guesswork out of go back and forth by means of unambiguously ranking and score every little thing from inns, eating places, and sights to condominium vehicle businesses. With an Unofficial Guide in hand, and authors Bob Sehlinger and Len Testa as courses, discover what’s to be had in each classification, from top to worst, and use step by step distinct plans to aid utilize time at Walt Disney World.
By Simon Winchester
Simon Winchester, struck via a unexpected have to detect precisely what was once left of the British Empire, set out around the globe to go to the far-flung islands which are all that stay of what as soon as made Britain nice. He traveled 100,000 miles backward and forward, from Antarctica to the Caribbean, from the Mediterranean to the a ways East, to seize a final glint of imperial glory.
His adventures in those far-off and forgotten ends of the earth make compelling, frequently humorous analyzing and inform a narrative so much folks had inspiration was once over: a story of the final outposts in Britain's imperial occupation and those that continue the flag flying.
With a brand new advent, this up-to-date version tells us what has occurred to those awesome locations whereas the author's been away.